Before you do any type of speaking or recording, whether it is a public speaking engagement, webinar, audio recording or a podcast–there’s something you should not overlook: CARING FOR YOUR VOICE.
Working as a professional voiceover artist–I’ve found these tips to be very useful. These will help you cut down on editing time and give you a polished and professional vocal presentation.
• Stay Hydrated - Drink at least 8 glasses of water the day before an event and have a glass of lukewarm water 20 minutes before approaching the mic.
• Scrape Your Tongue - Invest in a tongue scraper and use it daily. Keeping debris off your tongue helps your mouth stay clean and that equals, less mouth noise.
• Brush Your Teeth - As simple as this is, brushing your teeth before speaking or recording can greatly reduce unwanted pops and clicks.
• Rinse Your Mouth - Use a non-alcohol based mouth rinse. This will lubricate your mouth and reduce unwanted mouth noise caused by a dry mouth. My favorite is Biotene.
• Clear your Nose - Blowing your nose improves your sound by removing excess mucus (yuck).
• Lip Balm - Moisturize your lips right before you speak. This cuts down on lip smacking.
Itchy, Irritated throat? Try:
• Throat Spray - If you are feeling a bit dry and scratchy in your throat, coat it with a good non-alcohol based spray.
• Drink - Try tea or hot water with lemon.
• Gargle - With sea salt or pink salt and warm water for a few minutes.
I hope you find these tips useful! For more great audio + voice tips, visit my facebook page: soundxcape studio.
Join our mailing list to receive Audio + Voice Tips.
Your information will NEVER be shared.
Audio & Voice Tips + Solutions for the Busy Online Entrepreneur. Delivered to Your Inbox.